Basically finished. Will touch up when I sand the rest of the piece
Discovery of cracked oil control ring
Getting back to Tarija I've received the parts I need for the next steps. These were all rounded up by a cyber-friend in Buenos Aires from his collection or neighboring stores.
Here are the basic parts I'll use to convert the car to 12 volt, plus my much needed steering wheel, turn signals, and light controls. Also the thermostat and water pump. I took the head a machine shop to take out the water distribution tube and make a new one.
I polished the alternator so it would match the rest of the project, then painted the original radiator and other parts.
Then I disassembled the replacement steering rack I got a few months ago when I went to Salta, Argentina. It is almost new inside, although it had a lot of corrosion outside.
I also needed to hone the replacement cylinder sleeve (replacing the rusted one) and then sand the scratches off the pistons skirts that were probably caused by the cracked bridge between the 2nd and 3rd cylinders.
Close inspection of the rings showed it had been assembled with a broken oil control ring. I will order this from Argentina.
Didn't have the help I needed to ut the power train together, so it will wait a couple of weeks for me to get back. So I decided to pull the stainless trim from the roof and fix it up. I'm not sure how this is supposed to come off, but after trial and error I found I could loop this piece of spring steel behind it and slide it behind the stainless.
First came straightening the damage from the crane that brought it here, then taking out dents and polishing.
Here is the basic process. I have it detailed on this link. For now I've taken out the biggest dents. Later I'll finish sanding and polishing the entire pieces.