Back in Tarija for a couple of weeks to try to finish the project.
Unfortunately the other lesson learned here was that the engine did not come with all its connections, and many electrical parts don’t match up between the 1990 cabin and the 1993 SPI engine. This trip will end with an order placed to Mini Sport for the missing parts.
Through the help of forums and the various manuals, I was able to connect all the miscellaneous hoses and make the wiring harness (loom) for the rear, threading the 8 wires up the A pillar and half way down the B pillar to come out under the top edge of the fender. I ran the wires for backup lights, but haven’t found what I like yet.
I found an exhaust pipe and muffler from a Toyota Corolla that fit with very few modifications.
Locally made windshield and rear window are now installed.
I wanted a license plate bracket that was the size of the Bolivian license plates, so I bought 12” of .8 mm stainless steel off a 4 ft roll and hada a guy cut and bend the basics, then I shaped the corners to match the plates and sanded/polished. As a finishing touch I added a LED light on the rear bracket.
The epoxy sealer arrived for the gas tank, so I rinsed again with phosphoric acid and painted it inside and out with epoxy before painting the outside black.
I also took a moment to polish miscellaneous chrome parts.
This is the step with lots of little details to finish.
Here is the almost finished pickup, painted, polished with Meguiar’s Ultimate, with most of the wiring connected and Fatmat installed on the roof and floors. Carpet and headliner will have to wait a few weeks.