The wiring is progressing nicely for all the modifications I’m doing. I have added relays for the headlights and halogen backup lights, a windshield washer, lights in the trunk and engine compartment, outlets for accessories in the center console and under the dash, changed the generator over to an alternator with an internal regulator, added the electric fuel pump with oil pressure shut-off, and added an oil pressure sensor (apparently there never was one).
Here is the building of the wiring harness, with the wires stretched across a corner of the work area as more are added for each function. Once all the wires were assembled, they are taped together and installed with clamps. The original horn did not work, so I got two donors. This one did not work, but after grinding it open and a little sanding, soldering and assembly, the two work nicely together.
The body shop has finished welding and caulking the floor, covering it with a good coat of paint. So now I set out to finish the inside, putting eDead on the floor and an additional layer of Dynamat on the firewall.
All together between the engine and the interior I have a layer of Dynamat, the steel firewall, a layer of eDead and a final layer of Dynamat. Then comes the speaker enclosure with foam backed upholstery.
My 40 sq. ft of eDead was not enough, so I had to put about 15 sq. f a local material in some places. In addition I’ve put a layer of Dynamat Hoodliner on the firewall.
I cut a piece of 12 mm plywood to make speaker boxes. These are contoured to fit into the back, making a slight shelf that gives me enough depth to put in the speakers.
I’m installing the carpeting over a 1 cm foam cushion. The doors get a plastic sheeting to seal out moisture and dust prior to the door panels. Here are two of the finished door panels installed with there arm rests and door handles. These arm rests are donors from a later model.
Here I have finished installing the speakers and the folding rear seat. I added a chrome “Corvair 700" from the extra glove box door.
You can also see the rear seat belts that I installed for my grandchildren. They are donors from my Ford E350 van that no longer has rear seats.
Here is the final look of the new radio/CD player in the bezel I made a few months ago, completing the look of the dash. You can also see how the sun visors were re-upholstered, matching the seats, door panels, kick panels and speaker enclosure.
The center console is fabricated from this donor console from a Toyota 4Runner, cut at the front and mounted high enough to be an arm rest with a rear door skin from a Toyota minivan.
The cup holders two are 2 oil filters cut open and welded in place. The remaining fill for the sides is made up of Nissan and Toyota plastic bumpers. Two electrical outlets in the back complete the installation.
Finally I got around to finishing off the seat belt instalation. Here are the cardboard molds and fiberglass process, ending with the finished covers.
At the end I've added the adaptor plate I made later to fit two speakers in the original speaker grill on the dash.