Final seat belt installation and fabrication of fiberglass covers in month 29
This few months have not seen a lot of action. I was only able to get to Tarija for a couple of weeks, and the body shop did nothing for three months. I was able to collect a few parts and advance a few small items.
I tried to polish my old glove box door and decided it better to find a donor. My wife brought it from the states and I cleaned and polished it with a little Meguiars Mag & Aluminum Polish. I still need to build the glove box to fit inside (later I ended up polishing this to use for a radio bezel after realizing how good the Meguiars is).
I also received another gas tank trim piece, so I decided to sand and polish it. First 220 grit, then 360, 500, 600, and then 1000 grit before polishing on the buffer.
Then I took the donor logo for the hood and had it chromed and polished. It came out better than the aluminum one I made, so I’ll use it for now.
I also found a shop to weld, fill and re-chrome the bumpers. An overall pretty good job, but I wish I had picked them up to do a few more hours sanding before they actually re-chromed them.
The sanding and probing has shown week spots and additional rust, some of which could be patched in place, but one door corner had to be cut out, patched, and put back.
The door pillar at the floor was rusty. We reinforced below where it would be cut for the seat belts.
In order to put shoulder belts in the car we had to cut out and reinforce a space in the rocker panel for the recoil mechanism, and reinforce part of the roof area for the shoulder mount. We will make a box to fit around the cut-out.
While he is working on the rest of the body I’ll be making another trip to the US for a few more parts.